It was recently announced that starting on July 15, 2020 Georgia Power will once again have the authority to shut off electricity to customers that have unpaid electricity bills all across Georgia, including Savannah, Hinesville, Statesboro, and all surrounding cities.
The electricity shut offs come at a time when many households around Savannah are still struggling to pay their bills due to the recent impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had across coastal Georgia.
However, here are 7 tips to help avoid getting your power shut off in the heat of the summer.
- Sign up for the Georgia Power Installment Payment Plan- This plan is designed to help reduce the sudden burden of the past due bills being paid at once. The installment payment plan takes any outstanding bills and splits them into smaller increments over a 6-month timeframe. There are some finer details and enrollment options that you can read on the Georgia Power Installment Payment Plan FAQ .
- Senior Citizen Discount- Georgia Power customers who are 65 years of age or older may meet requirements that can reduce their bill up to $24 a month. Learn more about that program on HERE.
- The Salvation Army’s Project SHARE- The Salvation Army’s SHARE program helps by providing emergency bill-payment assistance to households facing a temporary crisis. To learn more and check eligibility, visit the Project SHARE website.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program- Their website states “The Georgia Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills.” You can see if you qualify by visiting the LIHEAP website.
- Reduce the amount of energy used- The Georgia Power has nearly 100 articles on their website to help reduce the cost of your monthly energy bills. Simple things like making sure your vents aren’t blocked and only using hot water when necessary for laundry can make a big difference.
- Side hustle/gig jobs- There are countless side hustles that you can do part-time to help supplement your income. Even we pay a $500 referral fee if you refer us to someone interested in selling their house and we end up purchasing it. Simply fill out this form and we will reach out to you to get the referral process started.
- Sell your unwanted house- We are always looking to buy houses, no matter what the condition it is in. Maybe you have a distressed property that you are tired of dealing with, or you want to sell your house and downsize to something smaller or closer to family. To get a no-obligation offer, simply fill out the form below.