If you’ve been driving around in Savannah, chances are you’ve seen some signs on the side of the road saying “We Buy Houses” advertising a company that buys houses. Sometimes they even say things like “We Buy Savannah Houses!” or “Cash For Your House” or “We Buy Houses Fast“. Sometimes they will be nice and printed, sometimes they will be handwritten and you probably have thought to yourself, is it a scam?
Are These “We Buy Houses in Savannah Companies” A Scam?
How do I know if the “We Buy Houses” companies out there are honest and credible? When you first start talking with these companies, sometimes they all look the same at the start. But, there are differences and below we’ll walk you through some things to look for in a local house buying company before you should work with them.
Buying and selling houses is a reputable and respectable profession that can help communities and house sellers in many ways. But just like any other line of work, a few bad apples can make the rest of us look bad.
There are people who are really great, ethical folks who improve their neighborhoods one property at a time and truly have the best of intentions when working with someone selling their house.
Then there’s shady, dishonest people who put money ahead of the well being of their clients. You know these types of people, they are the ones who would sign the contract to sell their own grandmother with one hand while stabbing you in the back with the other. These shady people exist in every business, not just real estate.
We’ll help you avoid these “shady house buyers” so you can work with honest, ethical, and reputable local companies who can buy your house for a fair all-cash offer and close when you agree to.
First, let’s cover what the best house-flippers and buyers are doing around Savannah.
What Reputable Savannah House Buyers Are Doing
- Helping folks improve their lives by accessing the money they need right away. People often need to sell their house to cover unexpected medical expenses, or to relocate to be close to a relative. We can make that happen in just a few days, and we deliver peace of mind.
- Helping sellers get rid of a burdensome property without the hassle of having to list it with a broker and wait months and months for a sale. When you work with a real estate investor, things move faster than working with real estate agents.
- Creating local jobs. We hire plumbers, contractors, electricians, brokers, title attorneys, loan officers, administrators, and many other folks along the way. The average real estate transaction involves 86 people from start to finish. Our investments help create real jobs for people around Savannah GA.
- Buying US products. We spend tons of money on materials that are made right here in the USA – that creates jobs in our timber mills, factories, supply shops, distribution centers, and more. The US economy depends on steady improvement, and that requires investment from folks like us.
- Increasing the value of Savannah neighborhoods. When we improve a house, we’re helping to increase the value of the entire community. We often repair abandoned and neglected houses, turning them into beautiful homes for families. That activity strengthens communities around Savannah.
Pretty cool stuff, right?
So let’s get back to how you can use this information to find out if someone is a credible investor, and not just pulling a house buying scam.
How To Ensure You’re Working With A Reputable Local House Buyer
When you talk with a local house buyer, ask them some of the questions below to ensure they’re reputable, knowledgeable, and honest.
Ask open-ended questions like:
- How do you help your clients?
- What do you do for the community?
- Can you tell me more about your services?
- What aspect of your business makes you the proudest?
- How would you describe your investment philosophy?
- How can I know that you’ll close on my house when you say you will?
Second, look for telltale signs of tactics that those few shady operators tend to use.
- “Kitchen table closings” – If a house buyer tries to get you to sign the deed (ownership) of your house over to them at your house, rather than a professional place like a closing attorney or title company, run away! Most reputable house buying services will perform the actual closing with a neutral 3rd party, like a real estate attorney. This ensures everything is done right.
- Pressuring you into a fast closing – If a house buyer tries to pressure you into selling your house and says that you have to make the decision today, be leery. Most reputable house buying services will make you an offer and that offer and give you a few days to think it over. The reason reputable house buyers place deadlines on our offers is that the market is constantly changing. Another reason that we put a timeframe on our offer, is we want to make sure we have the funds set aside to purchase your property. Likewise, if you decide to keep your property, we need to be able to use those funds for a different house purchase.
Most scammers are looking for a quick score. Chances are good that they’ll find excuses to get off the phone and move on to someone who doesn’t ask too many questions.
True investors who run honest and ethical Savannah house buying services, however, are building long-term businesses based on relationships and community development.
So when you’re looking at one of the “we buy houses in Savannah companies“… never be afraid to ask questions to figure out if it is a scam!